"Venus smiles in the way that makes everyone want to punch [her] a little, […] Venus can smile and laugh nervously through anything."
Venus is one of the three main characters in We Know the Devil. She is described as awkward and acquiescent, which may be why Group South and the Bonfire Captain find her an easy target of ridicule. Venus is a member of Group West along with Jupiter and Neptune.
Venus is timid and shy, masking a deep anger at the world and at Summer Scouts in particular. She doesn't hesitate to argue back when Group South picks on her, but instead of hurling insults the way they do, she just tells them why she thinks they're antagonizing her.
She noticeably is easily distracted. While fixing the sirens, it takes Neptune three tries to get Venus's attention, despite her being involved in the conversation just before. This is likely due to her seeing lights as the devil.
Venus finds it impossible to mess up on purpose and can't tell when people are lying to her. This makes her seem like a kiss-up, because she does whatever people want and always believes what people tell her. She's very good at radios and fixing things but refuses to be what people expect her to be. When she gets drunk with Neptune, she yells when Neptune tells her to toughen up.
Venus mentions her mother always told her that people hurt you when they've been hurt themselves, but Venus thinks that's stupid because everyone has been hurt. This implies that Venus might not have the best opinion of her mother.
We're friends too, aren't we? It's not weird.Jupiter talks to Venus about things she is afraid to talk with others about, because she sees Venus as "like a puppy. You're harmless. ... Except when you talk."
The worst thing Venus has done is not fuck up hard enough to get us all kicked out.Neptune tries incredibly hard to get Venus to come out of her shell. She tells Venus to intentionally make the Bonfire Captain angry, and gets irritated every time she apologizes. Venus trusts Neptune not to harass or humiliate her, and Neptune is tempted to break that trust just so Venus will learn to be less trusting. Venus thinks Neptune treats hating herself like a competition; Neptune thinks Venus is nice to everyone because she wants something from them.
Group South Edit
Venus is picked on more than the rest of Group West by Group South since she is generally believed to be weaker and has a tendency to go along with what other people say to avoid conflict rather than disagree and do the right thing. During one part she describes an incident with Group South in which she is trying to fix a radio as Group South insist she must do something that makes the radio less effective. She fixes the radio in the way Group South describe despite this.
The Bonfire Captain Edit
Venus is extremely apologetic towards the Bonfire Captain and is the only member of Group West to not outwardly disagree with him. Neptune takes significant displeasure in this and constantly encourages her to be more aggressive towards him.
- Venus is the oldest member of Group West.
- While the Roman gods Jupiter and Neptune are male, the goddess Venus is female, an inverse of Group West's assigned genders.
- Venus was sorted into Slytherin by the Pottermore housing quiz, although she wanted to be in Hufflepuff.
- She likes the game euchre.
- Shown in the artbook, Venus's original design had her hair covering her right eye, a detail which was only scrapped for the final game sprites.
- This design returns in the Yellow Ending's screen, where Venus in her devil form has one of her huge, cyan eyes covered by her long hair.
- On Tumblr, Aevee Bee stated that anyone of any gender should be able to cosplay Venus, and added that Venus would be the exact sort of person to worry about it.
- Bee also stated in the same post that Venus is canonically a closeted trans woman.
- According to We Know The Demo, Venus' parents forced her to join choir and she considers herself to be a good singer.